Sunday, July 27, 2008

a summer evening 5 years ago....

As I posted the last comment  it stirred a memory of an experience back when we were in Arlington National Cemetery. 

  We had hiked up to the tomb of the unknown soldier with our 5 kids and were trying to explain that they needed to be quiet and be respectful.  All was going well, we were watching the deliberate actions of the soldier as he walked down one way, turned and then turned to walk the other way.  It was almost the time of the changing of the guard.  The next soldier was almost in place and the man calling out the instruction yells out in a very rhythmic tone..."will you please keep your children on the right side of the rope".  I looked down and sure enough there was #4 sneaking under the rope barrier  trying to get away.  Nice!  So for the rest of the day the procession was probably 5 seconds off their schedule because my kid couldn't follow the directions!  

2 comments:

Christie said...

I love your tails, so typical of children and so funny to record and remember

Lisa said...

Yeah - I remember that day well. The more things change well you know the rest except now I would put my money on #6 to be crossing the line with #4 shouting the directions to get back before the soldier gets a chance.

As I recall Lisa was roughly the size of Texas at that time. Fun memories.